Sunday, February 10, 2008

"Under My Breath, Life Breathes Me" (Majo,12/96)

Under my breath, life breathes me
My breath falters, gets tight
All but goes away
The breath of life rocks me gently
I float on a tiny raft
On an immense, wild ocean
Struggling to stay afloat
To somehow chart a course
In the void, the vastness
Life is the ocean
It holds me and my raft
Were I to lose the raft
This tiny defense that I call home
Plunge naked into life
Drop under the surface
Lose my grip
Over my head in life
With no bearings
Surrender all hope of ever again
Knowing which end is up
Say goodbye to surface life
That has seemed my only realm
Slide down, down, down into life
What then?

1 comment:

Charlene said...

This poem reminds me of the movie starring Tom Hanks where he's marooned on an island and is comforted by his relationship with a soccer ball.
He builds a raft and floats off, not knowing to where and during his journey he loses his only companion, the ball.I saw the movie again recently and the scene where he's calling out and the ball is drifting further and further away is full of anguish and loss. Remarkable, Mojo, the symbology you use in this poem so closely parallels the movie in many, many ways.